Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Scary Side Of Art



I recently read an article that stated the following:

"We are right smack-dab in the new golden age of young adult literature." -Michael Cart, Booklist magazine critic and a leading authority on young adult literature. He went on, "And publishers are courting young adults in ways we haven't seen since the 1940s."

Well just look at that, one of the best things a young adult writer could hear, right?


Sometimes I feel so blessed and confident to have found writing. So many of my friends changed their majors so many times, or still aren't even passionate about their majors. I honestly have to say that at least three quarters of everyone I know in college doesn't really give two shits about their majors and just want to be able to land a job.

I honestly feel as if I'd go insane without writing. I have to do it. I've always had to do it. I've been writing poetry since I was eight years old and have kept a diary for the last fifteen years. And I still own them all too-- they sit proudly on my bookshelf. I feel like my bipolar disorder has a lot to do with my need to write as well. The more I learn about the two-- writing and bipolar disorder, I see their paths cross far too often. It's almost as if I was meant to be writer, and during the golden age of young adult literature? Could it be more perfect? All of the writers I've studied have had many things in common, they had talent and good timing. The wrote for the nation and they wrote about exactly what the nation wanted and needed to read. And right now our nation wants young adult literature more than ever. I honestly really think I have a chance of making it. My father even  believes in me. He still can't believe I write so well. My father has never had faith in me.. my entire life, and writing restored that faith.

But then again, I also have to realize that writing is an art. It's much like painters and sculptors and actors and musicians-- very few actually make it. Sometimes I just wish there was a way to know if I am good enough. I keep telling myself, just get your degree in creative writing, make sure you get into grad school, get your masters, and you'll have to be good enough. There's no way I couldn't be after so much schooling! But then again... I guess I'll never know until the day comes. It's scary and risky but maybe that's part of the reason it's so beautiful. Things like writing and art don't achieve meaning in any sort of easy way.

I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment